The Longview Museum of Fine Arts is a non-profit organization which seeks to create interest in and promote knowledge of the visual arts throughout the City of Longview and vicinity by exhibiting, interpreting and preserving works of art and providing educational opportunities to a diverse audience.
The Longview Museum of Fine Arts is "on the grow," seeking to serve a wider and more diverse audience by offering more opportunities at the Museum through the centerpiece of the Museum's expansion project: ArtWorks. This new facility, adjacent to the current Museum will serve as an area for classrooms, exhibits, lectures, workshops and performing art events. Three key features for ArtWorks include: New Exhibits, an Art Education Director, and art activities for the whole family.
1958 - The Junior Service League of Longview initiated and promoted development of an art museum.
1959 - The First Annual Invitational was held in April, and the Junior Service League began its collection with the first purchase award.
1959-71 - The collection the League acquired through the annual invitational was housed in the Nicholson Memorial Library.
1970 -The Museum was issued a charter from the State of Texas.
1971 - The inaugural Exhibition opened in the McWilliams Annex, made available by Mr.Robert Cargill, at this time the League's collection was put on permanent loan to the Museum.
1971 - The Museum hired its first full-time Director.
1971 - The Longview Museum Guild was formed.
1973 - The Museum moved to the Perkins building on the corner of Green and Tyler Street.
1974 - The "Day at the Museum" program started, with local schools bringing students to visit the museum for a day.
1976 - The Museum purchased and moved to the Northcutt Furniture Building at 102 W. College.
1997 - The Museum purchased the present building on Tyler Street with funding from the Junior League, Neiman Marcus, Mr and Mrs. John Wrather, and many other contributors.
1999 - The Museum purchased the Fisher -Sessums building next door to the Museum to increase classroom space.
2005 - Ann Lowman donated a lot at 137 E. Tyler Street for the purpose of placing sculpture as an extension of LMFA. The plot will be called the J.T. Smith Sculpture Garden, after her ancestor who was a Gregg County Judge.