CCC Company 854 was already in the area. Work on Longhorn Cavern State Park had begun in 1932 and finished in October of 1940. The men had also built a scenic parkway, complete with bridges and culverts made of local materials, to connect that park to nearby roadways.
The company immediately began its next assignment: building facilities at Inks Lake State Park and extending the scenic parkway from Longhorn Cavern to Inks Lake.
With the approach of World War II, funding for the CCC dried up, and the Inks Lake CCC camp was abandoned on Jan. 5, 1941. Only remnants of their work remain in the park today.
The State Parks Board oversaw final construction of the park, and it opened in 1950.